PHOTOS A/B: MY NOTES ON THE MEETING WITH DOTC SEC. JUN ABAYA AND HIS MANAGEMENT TEAM AND PPC CENTER COSETTE LACANILAO. Please concentrate on the lower part and the 2nd page.
CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS
PHOTO C: August 12, 2014 Tuesday, 1:00pm
Meeting with PPP Center Executive Director Cosette Canilao
TOPIC: I requested for a report on the status of the Integrated Luzon Railway Project awaiting CPCS final study report. I was provided with a power point presentation but the indications were encouraging. South-bound system under the NSCR (North-South Commuter Railway) which has a NPV of P78bn and EIRR of 19%.
PHOTO D: August 20, 2014 Wednesday
PANEL REACTOR – Philippine Launch and Press Conference for the 2014 Human Development Report: “Sustaining Human Progress: Reducing Vulnerabilities and Building Resilience” and 5th Philippine Progress Report on the Millennium Development Goals, Crowne Plaza Manila Galleria, Ortigas Avenue cor. ADB Avenue, Quezon City
Meeting with NEDA DDG Arsenio Balisacan on the sidelines of UNDP HDR
Topic: We agreed to aggressively push the railway program in the national agenda and we both agreed that almost all railways in the world involve national subsidies. As RDC chair, I reiterated the position of the RDC that the Manila-Bicol railway is critical to development as 1. it promotes rural tourism 2. it empowers Bicol labor to compete in the labor markets of Metro Manila and anywhere in Luzon and 3. it provides a multi-modal means for bringing the agricultural products and some manufactured goods of Bicol to the rest of Luzon – the vegetables of Guinobatan’s Inascan Valley should be as competitive in Divisoria wholesale market as the products of Baguio.
PHOTO E: August 28, 2014 Thursday
Meeting with DOT Secretary Joseph Emilio Abaya and PPP Executive Director Cosette Canilao
DOTC, Ortigas Avenue, Mandaluyong City
Topic: Aside from the discussions on the Bicol Intl. Airport, there was an agreement on my proposal to expedite Bicol railway development/ The consensus among us DOTC, PPP Center and I as chairman of RDC is:
- To pursue it as the south-bound system under the NSCR (North-South Commuter Railway) which has a NPV of P78bn and EIRR of 19%.
- Investment cost of P74-102bn with a critical cost shared by the public investment budget since it is a national priority program
- While I insisted on standard gauge, I was assured by DOTC Usec Timmy Lichauco that the existing narrow gauge can go 150-180kph which should reduce Tutuban-Legazpi trip to 3-4 hours.
- Must be extended to Matnog so economic flows with Eastern Visayas could provide additional market.
- Possible bidding as PPP with NG subsidy by 1Q of 2015.
- Meeting with CPCS (transaction adviser of the PPP Center) on September 4.
- From Gov. Joey S. Salceda.