The Diocesan Shrine of Our Lady of Salvation is a Roman Catholic Church located at Barangay Joroan, Tiwi, Albay. A popular pilgrimage destination, it homestead the cult image of Our Lady of Salvation (Nuestra Senฬƒora de Salvacion), which has been venerated by Bicolano devotees since 1776, when it was carved out of a local kalpi tree (Citrus x webberii).

The image of Our Lady of Salvation originated from Mary Most Holy Mother of Light (Maria Madre Santissima Del Lume), a painting of the Virgin Mary based on the visions reported by a pious lady from Palermo, Italy in 1722. Better known as Our Lady of the Light, this venerated icon is still preserved at the Church of San Stanislao Kostka in Palermo. From Palermo, the image and devotion to Our Lady of the Light was introduced by Jesuit priests to the Philippines particularly at Cainta, Rizal and Loon, Bohol. The Franciscans in turn introduced the devotion to their mission in Bicol. Joroan, which was a barrio of Buhi in 1776, was then under the Franciscan ministry. Joroan, a seaside barrio vulnerable to typhoons, landslides, and pirate raiding during the Spanish Period, folk devotion to Our Lady of the Light gave way to Our Lady of Salvation who serves not just as intercessor for suffering souls but also as protector for people threatened by various calamities. The veneration of Our Lady of Salvation spread to other parts of Bicol and the Philippines.

The Shrine of Our Lady of Salvation began as a chapel on the hill called Pananaon overlooking the sea and situated between the Bariis and Joroan Rivers. The image was transferred to a chapel built in the Joroan River valley sometime in the 1860s, when Joroan was already a barrio of Tiwi. The chapel was destroyed by a typhoon in 1895 after which the image was kept at the Church of St. Lawrence the Martyr at the town center of Tigbi. Subsequently, Joroan was declared a parish in 1919; a parish church was built to house the returning image of Our Lady of Salvation. The present structure was built in 1967 and was declared a Diocesan Shrine in 1976 after the canonical coronation of Our Lady of Salvation by H. E. Jaime Cardinal Sin.

In 2019, the church complex of Our Lady of Salvation was declared by the National Museum as Important Cultural Property.

Text: Provincial Tourism Culture and Arts Office (PTCAO)