St. Michael the Archangel Parish Church (popularly known as the Oas Church) is a Roman Catholic church located in Oas, Albay. Like the typical Franciscan churches in Albay, it has a main church structure adjoining a bell tower on one side and a parish house (referred to as “casa parroquial” during the Spanish period) on the other.

An account of baptisms in 1587 indicates that the Oas Church has already been founded at that time, its founder being the Franciscan missionary Fr. Gerónimo de Aguilar. At around the same time, twelve datus agreed to be baptized and aggregate their own settlements under one town. This new town was named Oas after ’was, the local name for the Harpullia arborea tree.

Since its beginnings as a wooden building, the Oas Church has been rebuilt and repaired many times. The earliest mention that it was a stone church and parish house was in 1649. In 1695, these structures were rebuilt by Fr. Francisco de la Anunciación or Peñaranda using volcanic rocks and brick. After being destroyed by fire, they were reconstructed by Fr. Francisco Aragoneses in 1816. This was the church complex painted in watercolor by Manila-born artist José Honorato Lozano in 1847. Further repairs were made throughout the 19th century after the structures suffered earthquakes and typhoons, the worst of which happened in 1884 when a strong earthquake demolished the church and parish house. By 1901, the church was reported to be constructed wholly of volcanic rocks and built “in Tuscan style.”

The present cruciform church is composed of both volcanic stones (walls and bell tower) and bricks (façade, baptistry, and wall surfaces). The contemporary façade is refitted to resemble the 1816 church by Fr. Aragoneses as painted by Lozano. One notable feature of the church is its elaborately carved baptismal font.

St. Michael the Archangel Church of Oas is a Level II historic structure (structure with NHCP marker).

Article: Provincial Tourism, Culture and Arts Office (PTCAO)